Short answer:

All bookings include damage cover provided to borrowers by Mobility Mutual. You’ll need to arrange your own insurance or get Between-Booking Cover from Mobility Mutual (for eligible cars only) to cover your car outside bookings.

Damage cover during bookings

Mobility Mutual Trip Cover includes cover for:

  • Damage
  • Theft
  • Third-party loss
  • Hail, flood and fire

If your car is damaged or lost during a booking, the borrower will be liable for the cost of repair or replacement. 

The borrower can make a claim for cover from Mobility Mutual. We’ll charge them their excess and organise the repairs.

If the borrower’s claim for cover is denied, they’ll be liable for the full cost of repairs. 

If a borrower doesn’t pay what they owe, you won’t be out of pocket. You’ll be protected by our Owner Guarantee (terms and conditions apply).

Borrowers aren't responsible for wear and tear (as defined in the Damage Policy), and the Owner Guarantee doesn’t cover wear and tear.

Neither Mobility Mutual damage cover nor the Owner Guarantee cover damage to any accessories or modifications that weren’t supplied by the manufacturer.

Borrowers are responsible for the reasonable cost of repairing damage, which may include the use of second-hand or non-original equipment manufacturer parts.

If your car is a total loss, you’ll be paid its market value at the time the loss occurs.

Damage cover outside of bookings

Mobility Mutual’s Trip Cover only applies during bookings. If you’d like cover for your car outside of bookings, you’ll need to arrange that separately. If your car is dedicated to sharing, you can list it on the Full-Time Fleet sharing plan. It includes cover while your car is parked between bookings and up to 1,000km a year of your own driving outside bookings. 

Options for insuring your car

If you would like to get insurance for your car between bookings, you can decide what kind of cover you'd like:

  • Third-party property damage only (TPPDO)
    • Usually the cheapest option, but this only covers damage you cause to property owned by someone else (including other cars). It doesn’t cover the cost of damage to your own car.
  • Third-party, fire and theft (TPF&T)
    • Usually more expensive than TPPDO and less expensive than Comprehensive. This covers you if your car is stolen or damaged by fire and also covers the risks covered by TPPDO policies.
  • Comprehensive cover
    • Usually the most expensive option. It covers accidental loss or damage to your car as well as the risks covered by TPF&T policies.

Insurance that works with car sharing

We’ve partnered with KOBA to bring members comprehensive insurance that’s uniquely designed for car sharing. 

KOBA customers pay a simple upfront cost to cover their car while it’s parked, and a few cents for each kilometre they drive.

Synced with our Instant Keys technology, KOBA distinguishes when your car is used for personal use so they only charge for the insurance you use. KOBA is only available for cars using our Instant Keys technology. 

Visit KOBA to learn more.

Other insurers

Here are other major Australian insurers that cover cars that are mostly used for personal use, but are also rented out through Uber Carshare, without any additional premium payable:

  • AAMI
  • APIA
  • GIO
  • NRMA (including SGIO and SGIC)
  • RACV (Victoria only)
  • Suncorp

Every insurer has its own policies, so contact your insurer or check your PDS to see if sharing your car will impact your current insurance.

When requesting a policy quote, mention that you primarily use your car for personal use and occasionally share it on our platform.

If the consultant is unsure of cover, ask them to search their internal knowledge base for "car sharing".

If the consultant tells you that you can't share your car, ask them to search for 'Car Next Door' (Uber Carshare's previous name), or enter the following reference in their internal knowledge base:

  • APIA - Vehicle Use. KM1010840
  • AAMI, Suncorp, GIO - KM1014540 - Vehicle Use Section - Protect code P and same code P for car sharing scheme. 
  • NRMA, SGIO or SGIC: KM 1175909
  • RACV: Type in 'ride-sharing cover' - says any driver is covered if the car sharing is occasional.

In addition, Allianz offers cover for car-sharers, however, it is under their Rideshare insurance product and carries an additional annual premium. 

If you find that any of these insurers doesn't offer you cover because your car is listed on our platform, please report it using this form so that we can follow up with them. 

What happens if your car is damaged during a booking

Borrowers are required to take photos at the start and end of each trip to prove that no damage occurred while they had your car. These photos help us determine when the damage happened and who's responsible.

If you notice any new damage that you think happened during a booking, report it to us as soon as possible. 

  1. We’ll check your borrowers’ photos to determine who is responsible and charge them their Trip Cover excess
  2. We’ll arrange the repairs on behalf of Mobility Mutual – we can use your preferred repairer or one of our specialist repairers 
  3. We’ll charge the borrower $25 for each day your car was unavailable to you due to the damage and repairs, up to 28 days (provided our chosen repairers are doing the work)

How the damage cover works

Damage cover for trips is provided by Mobility Mutual, a group risk management program that's administered by Uber Carshare Pty Ltd.

When a borrower makes a booking, they become a member of Mobility Mutual. The cost of their booking includes a contribution towards the mutual fund, and this is pooled with contributions from other Uber Carshare members. If a car is damaged during a booking, the borrower pays their excess and the pooled funds cover any extra costs.

How Mobility Mutual protects your car during bookings

Whenever a borrower has your car, they’re required to take out Trip Cover from Mobility Mutual to provide them with cover for damage or loss to your car or third-party property.

If the borrower is responsible for damage or loss to your car, they’ll make a claim and Mobility Mutual will pay for the repair or replacement in accordance with the Member Agreement.

If the borrower is in breach of the terms of cover and their claim is rejected, this doesn’t affect your payment. We'll pay you under the Owner Guarantee and seek to recover the debt from the borrower.

What’s the difference between mutual risk management and insurance?

With a discretionary mutual fund (“mutual”), members pool funds to manage risk. 

It’s a way for a group of people with a common purpose – like our car-sharing community – to manage risks in the best way for their community.

A mutual provides discretionary cover.  Unlike an insurance contract, which pays out in very specific prescribed circumstances, the unique feature of mutual risk products that set them apart from insurance is discretion.

An insurance policy promises an indemnity. A mutual-risk product promises a claim for loss will be considered. The power of discretion rests with Mobility Mutual’s board. This discretion provides the board with the flexibility to respond in situations where an insurance policy can't.

There's also an ‘excess of loss’ insurance policy that protects the mutual if there were more losses to pay out than were covered by the mutual fund.

Was this article helpful?
352 out of 459 found this helpful



Article is closed for comments.